11 June 2007

What makes a good holiday?

1. Good company:
I’m glad I married someone I can genuinely call my best friend. We love spending time together, so having a holiday with Russ is time well spent. We don’t get a lot of alone time these days, so just the two of us getting away is such a treat.
2. Good friends:
On this R&R, Russ & I had the immense privilege of visiting Julene & Chris along with their kids Tehya & Paeton. Julene & I are family, but also went through Elementary and High School together as good friends. Chris & Julene work with MAF in Palangka Raya, Kalimantan – another island in Indonesia. So it was relatively cheap and convenient for us to visit them at their house. It was so good to share “Indonesian” experiences, laughter, tears and memories. One can never overestimate the value of having history with someone. What a gift. And the kids…it was such a blessing to be able to play with some kids at a time when I’m missing my own nieces & nephews so much. They even called us Uncle Russ and Aunt Carmen. It was fun to hear that again. Julene and Chris have done such a great job making their house a home. It felt SO good to be in a home again.

3. Good Food:

Julene is a Mennonite. So am I. What is one thing all Mennonites have in common? An appetite for good food. Julene spoiled us rotten. We got whole wheat bread, pizza with whole wheat crust, whole wheat pancakes (do you think we miss whole wheat??), chicken enchiladas, BEEF STEAK (see Julene’s blog for the full story on that one), real cheese, homemade French Vanilla Yogurt, homemade granola, and Greek salad with real Feta cheese. Yeah. Julene’s doing an amazing job at being a Mennonite cook! We also enjoyed nice coffees from Starbucks and good food at other various restaurants in Palangka Raya, Bandung, Jakarta and Medan.

4. Good Shopping:

How many of you women out there are married to or dating a guy who actually enjoys shopping? Well, neither am I. BUT I discovered that if you put a guy into a very remote village setting for a long enough time, he will be able to match, if not exceed, your shopping stamina. And that’s exactly what happened with Russ. We spent 3 nights and 2 full days in Bandung, a city near Jakarta that is known for it’s factory outlet stores. We got new pants, shirts, sweaters (for when we’re back home), and other accessories for quite cheap and loved every minute of it. Then we spent a day in Jakarta and a day in Medan – both of which were spent doing some more shopping. How lucky am I??!!!! Oh yeah, I almost forgot: we each got some sweet new Converse Shoes. Check it out:

And here's us posing with some of our new buys:



5. Good Adventures:

While in Palangka Raya, Chris took us out on the river in his remodeled ski boat. Wow. It was so cool boating on a river through the jungle. Absolutely beautiful. (This is a different, much bigger river than we boated on, but you get the idea.)


Russ got to go for a flight in a MAF float plane with one of Chris’ colleagues. He loved it. Made him want to get his pilot license.


And generally getting around in Indonesia can be an adventure when your language is as limited as ours is. People are generally pretty helpful, though.

6. Good Break:

We pretty much eat, breathe and sleep work when we’re not on holiday, cause we live with our coworkers and there’s simply not much else to do. So a holiday is a time for us to disengage from our work. To relax, to dream, to talk about nothing, to talk about everything. Everything except work. Don’t get me wrong – the work we do is why we’re here in the first place – but even a job full of purpose requires regular breaks and time away.

Thank You, Jesus, for answering my prayers of refreshing my soul through our visit with Julene & Chris and for giving Russ and I such a relaxing and fun time away.

10 comments:

Barley Girl said...

i dont know why, but I started crying as I finished reading todays post. I know how awesome and refreshing a much needed holiday away can be. And I guess I just miss you guys a lot and was reading about julenes kids and got a bit emotional that you guys are so far away and havent see sasha yet and paige and brooklynn are growing so big.
I am so glad to hear though that you are refreshed and feeling blessed by this time away. That is exactly what we were praying for.
So I will thank Jesus with you and continue praying for a great adventure ahead...
love always and miss you more than you know.
ps. The pictures of you are fantastic. ( maybe just seeing you also made me alittle more emotional )
karleigh

Barley Girl said...

to auntie carmen and uncle russ,
i love you i miss you maybe I can come to your house next time.
from paige.
( transcribed by me:)

Anonymous said...

I got emotional too at the end of this post. Feeling grateful that you are feeling God's care for you - time to relax, time to play with kids, time to be with friends, and time to be with each other. Love you guys and are praying for you when you come to mind.

Anonymous said...

So good to hear about your time with Chris and Julene (and the kids). I was excited to hear you would be visiting together- catching up and sharing your experiences. What a privilege to be serving the Lord in the same country with a friend, and to be able to visit - which is strange because Indonesia is spread out into all those islands and you'd think that travel would be even more of a remote chance than back here. I love catching up on your blog and seeing some of the awesome scenery you get to enjoy - although I don't envy your living (bathroom) conditions:)

Anonymous said...

Great new post, Carmen. I've been thinking a lot about you guys and wondering how your holiday went. It's great to see that it went so well and that you really enjoyed yourselves! Back to the grind.... but with renewed spirit, right? Missing you,
Dolly

Anonymous said...

So glad that you your soul was refreshed! What a great post - love the pics of you and Russ modeling your new clothes. What a hot couple!!

Anonymous said...

I ditto everything everyone else has said (especially the part about missing you two). But what really stands out to me is the awesome adventure you are having - especially those outlined on your last holiday. I have had some pretty cool adventures in my life and I am REALLY glad both you and Russ are having some great ones together. The stories you could tell......

Anonymous said...

I clicked "publish" too soon - the previous anonymous note is from your good looking brother. :)

Anonymous said...

I too wept tears of joy at reading your blog. What a blessing to have such a refreshing break for you both. Loved the photos and miss you so much. Delighted that you got to experience whole wheat bread etc again. Pleased Russ got to experience a float plane trip. Awesome. You kids have a lifetime of memories already stored. Love you both. Love Mum

Julene said...

Carmen :-) What a great time we had TOGETHER!!! Nice choices on the clothes! Next time we've got to do the outlet shopping in Bandung together. Our husbands might just get tired of shopping if there are 2 "jungle women" out on a "new wardrobe" mission!