07 January 2008

Canada

The motherland. Home.

I had every intention of writing a note on this blog while we were in Canada, but I didn’t take/have the time. I apologize to all our faithful readers. So now I write some reflections after having returned to Indonesia.

A full month at home was definitely what the doctor ordered. The first thing that comes to mind as I reflect is people. It is a soul-enriching experience to reunite and spend time with family. And friends. It’s comfortable. Familiar. Relaxing. Energizing. Fun. This past month of spending time with people I know and love will feed my soul for the next long while.

The second thing that comes to mind as I reflect is food. So much food. Russ & I easily gained our weight back that we lost in the last year. When absolutely everything that comes before you excites your palate, it’s impossible to say no. Fresh milk, cheese, homemade goodness, roast moose, Hartwig’s Dinosaur Ribs, homemade bread, pasta, salad…..the list goes on and on. Russ and I knew that we’d be coming back to the best (worst) diet plan ever (pig & rice), so we gorged while in Canada. We may have sinned and acted as gluttons at times as well. J

You don’t realize how stressful it can be to live in a different culture until you go back to your own. That’s how I feel, now that I look back. It was so relaxing to be in our own environment. We know the rules. We know what offends or compliments people. We know how to walk, talk, dress and act in all varieties of situations. We blend. We’re normal. We communicate effectively. What a release.

Russ and I both felt torn about coming back to Indonesia. Whereas we know our work in Indo is not complete, it was hard leaving Canada, our home. Our commitment to Medair is for two years. We are now half-way complete, and deep in my heart, I know that God has more for us here. More lessons, more chances to show his love.

I am SO thankful for the time we had at home. We thank you Jesus and trust that in your grace, you will preserve the lives of all those we hold dear for one more year.

Until we see you again next year, THANK YOU for a meaningful and fulfilling time in Canada.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so good to reconnect with you guys as well, to hear some of you experiences firsthand and just to be in your presence. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy visiting schedule to spend some time with us, all 4 of us really enjoyed it. Also, know that you are in our thoughts and prayers!

Love, Frieda, Al, Brittany & Taylor

Danae said...

I'm so glad you guys had a restful and rejuvenating time in Canada, I thought of you many times over Christmas... hoping you were having a good time. I hope this next year brings you many more rewarding experiences that you will cherish. Take Care!

Anonymous said...

It was so good to have you home for a while... felt like we were just continuing as usual!!! God puts us in different places for a reason! He is using you in ways that you probably don't always realize. I will miss you (miss you already!!) and look forward to seeing you again in a year.

Lots of love,
Dolly

rachel joy said...

It was so good to have you here and to make some new memories!

Anonymous said...

we miss you too!! I loved spending time with you guys here and when I think about it, what I loved most is that the kids rememeber you.. they even ask where you are and call you by your names.
we are always here for you !!
Love you and miss you and cant wait to see you again!
karleigh

Anonymous said...

What a pleasure to have you home and enjoy your time with us.Weloved the stories and experiences you shared with us. The month just seemed to fly by and before we knew it was time to return to the airport to see you away for another year. The adventure begins again and you have work to do. God has put you there for a reason and we know his plans will be fullfilled. Love you and miss you. Love Mum

Anonymous said...

Be encouraged Carmen! I share the tear that comes with 'being away'...and... I pray that today you experience new and yet familiar 'God-goodness' in full measure!
ellie

The W's said...

I am SO glad you got to spend some quality time with your friends and family. So many people love and care for you!!!! We will continue to pray for you as you enter this next part of the journey.
Love you and miss you so very much. We were very sad we didn't get to see you but oh how great our reunion will be in a year!!! Can't wait!!!

Charlotte said...

Carmen! Miss you so much! Hanging out with you was one of the highlights of our holidays!!! :D Love you!