
The men watching the activities at the gas station while the woman carries out over 40 litres of gasoline to pour into the tank:

I know you were all wondering this week: "What happens when there's an unexpected funeral to attend and Carmen does not have an appropriate top to wear?" Well, here's your answer:
I go shopping in the big town of Gunung Sitoli, with our male night driver who takes me around to all the main clothing stores. I try on about a dozen different shirts, all of which are either really ugly, really uncomfortable, really small, or fit really weird. I finally find one black shirt that looks better than all the others and that may or may not match the skirt I happened to take along on this trip. Because I am unsure if it would be appropriate for a funeral (by this time, all the men in the shop know that I'm shopping for a funeral the next day cause my driver told them), I walk out of the change room (that didn't have a door or curtain) and ask in my broken Indonesian if this shirt would be okay for a funeral. I don't even know the word for funeral. I just know the words for "dead" and "person". Well, they understand, and after one of the men confirms that I will have a skirt to wear with the top, all five of them nod in agreement with big thumbs up that this shirt would work for a funeral. Like they'd say anything different to a white lady trying on a shirt in their store asking for their opinion. :) Of course, there were a couple "Cantik!" thrown in there too. Any guesses what that word means??
In case you were wondering, the 16 year old brother of my Finance Assistant died this past weekend in a motorbike accident. Hence the unexpected funeral. If you think of praying for the family, that would be greatly appreciated.
To all our faithful readers: sorry for the long wait between posts.
6 comments:
You are having some unique experiences and building a memory bank of your life in Indonesia. Disappointed not to see a photo of the shirt!!!.What a dreadful accident, we will keep the family in our prayers. Hugs to you. Mum
Love you! and missing you like crazy!
Missing you too!!!
Carmen,
Our sympathy goes out to you at this time. I know that you are so far away and that you wish you could be home with your family during this difficult time. Know that our prayers are with you.
Shawna and Revita
Sorry that was suppose to be Shawn and Revita
I hope that you are keeping a journal of some sort - it will make very interesting reading for your children and grandchildren (and for you in subsequent years).
I love your blog, and you are often in my thoughts.
Post a Comment