Age has never been a big deal to me...growing "older" has eluded me all these years and my age has always just been a number. However, "since I turned 30", I have noticed more people using that phrase, but also noticed a few other things that have reminded me that I'm not 19 anymore.
2 weekends ago, I hung out with a few teenagers at the Christian Musician's Summit that I went to. A pretty harsh realization was figuring out that I am now closer in age to the parents of 16 year olds, than I am to the 16 year olds. yikes. that's scary to me.
At this same conference, I was talking to a girl in grade 12 about some different Christian songwriters and their songs that we all sing. I was telling her about how some of the songwriters she has just noticed in recent years have been around for at least 10 years...since she was about 7 or 8 and would have been to young too know or care. ha...she was so cute.
I've also come to terms with the fact that as a 30 year old, I kinda have to start dressing my age (this may be partly because I watched too many episodes of "What Not to Wear" when we returned). Socks with little green frogs on them and t-shirts that say "Kiss me, I have Superpowers" aren't very appropriate anymore...
the weirdest thing that has occured since I turned 30 is the appearance of a few grey hairs. and it's strange, because I never noticed them in Indonesia at the height of my stress this past year, but only since we returned and have been able to let go of a lot of that stress. Ummmm....I don't think I like seeing grey in my hair.
Well, I guess I have to grow up sometime!
8 comments:
Welcome to the over 30 club. Haha I guess 45 doesn't seem that old after all does it. I hear you about age 60 doesn't seem old to me anymore . Oh well it's only a number (YIKES) we have to take it all into perspective. Take care and don't pull out the gray hairs for every one you pull five grow back hee hee
you are hilarious. thirty is the new twenty...just so you know. and don't call it gray...call it silver...silver is much classier! i love reading your blog to see how you are doing carmen! it's been along time. i'm teaching at a christian school...grade 7/8. it's awesome, challenging, rewarding, awesome! makes me think of mci alot.
take care!
krista
I don't know Carmen, I don't think we should grow up :)
I was going to say the same thing as Lyse... welcome to the 30s. The thing that I find funny is that when people ask how old I am, I actually have to think about it, cuz I simply forget! :) (Or maybe my mind is blocking it out!)
I still think socks with green frogs keep you young!!
I say wear the socks with the frogs and the tshirts...if you feel good wearing it, then wear it!! ( maybe not to work, cause the older you get the more "excentric" these things become and the once "cool" things now make you " a litle different"
Embrace this new decade. IT took a lot of growing and changing and becoming to get here and you have earned each and ever one of those years... ( even everyone of those grey hairs..though none of us like to admit that!)
I love the 30 year old you have become...self aware, softened, sweetenend, grounded. And dont worry, you will find your rythmn of the 30's and like all the stages of you life so far, it will be just as beautiful.
love you carmen.
K
don't worry about the few grey hairs, i got my first white air when i was 22!! crazy. I hear life only gets better from here on in and hopefully that is the same for you!
Hey Carmen! I loved your post about being older. And your pics are great (your trip, the cupcakes look so yummy, the Indonesian man)! Thank you for your meaningful comments on my blog. You truly understand life here and I so appreciate your friendship. Love from "Jules in Indonesia"
Post a Comment