01 July 2009

One year ago today

I joined Russ and went to Ko'olatano to participate in a handover that Medair was doing with the community there. They had finished the construction of brand new latrines for the elementary school, complete with a hand-washing station. Some of the best work I had seen on Nias.


The new latrines
for this Elementary school.

The hand washing station

They also completed the construction of the gravity flow water system and water tank so that people in the community could easily access clean, fresh water.

The water tank

Laundry time

And because it was Canada Day, I handed out Canada stickers to all the kids, until I ran out. Thanks to Brenda for sending those to me in a care package more than a year earlier!


On this day a year ago, we didn't yet know that we would be leaving Nias Island and Indonesia within 3 weeks, burned out and near break-down. We were so ready to leave. And we are both thankful that Medair encouraged us to leave for our own health and well-being.

Looking back now, we still shudder at some of the memories that flood our minds now and again. We think about how we lived and ask the same question all of you did: "How do you do it??" ....how DID we do it?? Honestly? I don't know. We just did. We had to. We wanted to. And by God's grace we found many moments of joy and fulfillment in it. A recent report back from the Country Director (who should be closing down the last project in Indonesia as we speak), states that Russ' Watsan projects are all still working - going strong. Praise the Lord. It WAS worth it. The blood, sweat and tears (and laughter, joy and unbelievable experience) reaped goodness. I pray that when people use new latrines, wash laundry from a new gravity flow system, get help from a freshly trained nurse in a newly built and furnished health clinic, they will know that Jesus' grace is sufficient, that He will never leave them & that He saves.

I hope I never forget last year's Canada Day in Ko'olatano.

The village of Ko'olatano

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing, isn't it, the "Canada Days" that you remember, especially when you are not in Canada. Cool pics of the kids with the red/white stickers.

Even better yet: so nice to hear that Russ' watsan systems are still working and that it WAS worth it.

Love the last photo.

Christoph

katherine said...

Totally worth it my friend, totally worth it.

Julene said...

Thank you for coming here to help these people. They may remember you as the nice lady who gave them stickers, but more than that God will not forget all the things that you did for Him in this "dry & thirsty land". Love you, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Carmen Your thoughts brought tears to my eyes as I read your blog. You did have a very difficult assignment but you came through it richer and more aware of this needy world. So pleased Russ's projects are still providing necessary service. You finished well. Love Mum

Anonymous said...

waowwww........ these are great memorable pictures!

on behalf of Nias people I just be able to say thanks to you, for your great journey and facing a big challenges in Nias island Mrs. Carmen. You are a memorable figure for me as a patient manager to handle everything in any situation patiently!! hehehe...

Cheers!!!

Soza