I was leading worship today in church, the pastor was also helping out.
Sam asked the pastor today if we could sing Kum Ba Ya.
Sam had also requested Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer at our church Christmas banquet.
Sam is an young adult who, for lack of a better word, is mentally handicapped. I know - not a PC phrase, but I really don't know what his actual condition is. He is in a wheelchair and can't stand much due to a dislocated hip. He says things like: "I'm having a great day!" and "I'm doing a good job!"
At the Christmas banquet, we sang Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer, much to Sam's enjoyment.
Today we sang Kum Ba Ya. I called the children up for their Sunday School dismissal and said that we were doing something special today. We had received a special request to sing Kum Ba Ya, so we will be singing it with the children at the front.
I saw Sam turn to his mom at this point and imagine that he said something like, "they're gonna sing Kum ba Yah!"
We started singing and he wheeled himself to the front, turned to the congregation and stood up out of his wheelchair with his arms stretched out and up for the full duration of the song (4 verses).
I could hardly control my voice, starting to choke up. It was so beautiful.
Do you see? ALL people can worship Jesus. and He meets ALL people where they are at.
Thanks, Jesus, for such a beautiful picture of worshipping you.
**Note: the name has been changed
4 comments:
o carmen. tears are pouring down my face. if we could only always have the heart that is willing to take a moment, and break with the plan...a beautiful picture. thanks for reminding me of the importance of taking the time.
Karleigh
well written. blessings on you.
Thanks for honoring his request, Carmen. So often we put such requests aside when it "doesn't suit us." You made that boy's day, if not week! And how true... "All creatures of our God and King, Lift up your voice and with us sing, O praise Him, alleluia!"
Awesome story Carmen. You were a great blessing to Sam that day and he will long remember your kindness. What a wonderful testimony to hear. You were blessed as much as Sam. Love and Hugs Mum
Post a Comment