First, is the sound of a train. For me, there is something about hearing the blast of a train's horn in the distance and the chugga chugga of the engine and wheels on the tracks. It somehow brings me comfort and calm. I love how the train was the first thing to connect the East to the West in Canada. I love how before I was married my initials matched CN Rail and now that I'm married, they match CP Rail.
Second, is the sound of the apple bells. When I was a little girl, I had a toy. It was an apple with a smiley face on it and it had bells inside of it. Actually, I should use the present tense. I still have this toy. The bells inside this apple are the most soothing, beautiful and melodic bells I have ever heard. A sharp contrast from the sound of jingle bells. In fact, I have a picture of me as a toddler, walking around with this thing. I'm not sure if it was my favourite back then, but it sure is now.
Third, is the sound of a loon calling. It's so mysterious and seems to echo in my body, every time I hear it. Growing up, we would always try to mimic the call of the loon at 108 Mile Lake where we had our cabin. Then, when I was on staff at Ootsa Lake Bible Camp one summer, I had the privilege of having a conversation with a loon. I took a canoe out by myself one evening to have some quiet alone time. It was late in the evening and a loon popped up about 10-15 feet from my canoe. So I gave my best loon call. He called back. I called again. He ducked under the water and popped back up somewhere else, equally as close to me. I called him again. He called back. This went on for about 10 minutes or so, until I think he finally realized that I wasn't the pretty lady he was looking for. So awesome. Actually, now that I think of it, I think this is my #1 favourite sound.
******************
I'm not one to compare different stages of life as my favourite. Even though I love being married, I also loved being single, for example. You will never hear me say that being married is better than being single, or vice versa. I feel like they are too different to compare. I love each stage of life for what it brings, and I miss each stage that has passed for what no longer is. Same with kids. I'm cautious to say that something around being pregnant or having a child is "the best". That title just seems too final for me. You never know what else might come up that will supersede your last "best". And, I think of friends who haven't yet had a chance, or may never have the chance to experience that "best". And I don't want them to think that they are missing out on "the best" of something. know what I'm saying?
All this being said, I fear that I may have to contradict myself, lower the ranking of my 3 favourite sounds, and call something "the best".... at the risk of creating more longing in some people I know.
The sound of my daughter's laughter. There's never been a sound that has made my insides actually jump with joy or a sound that has given me such peace. and love. I have to work hard sometimes to get her giggling, but oh, is it worth it! This is my new #1 favourite sound. And I think it's the best.
5 comments:
Carmen: I love your post on the sounds that have meaning to you. I have the unique privelege of having been with you for most of your life so sounds that you hold dear bring back memories for me: hearing the train from our Fort Langley house on 100th Ave, the red apple-bell-ball thing was played with alot at our house, and the loons at 108 or Canim also ring very clear in my head. I love the Ootsa story as well. Lastly, hearing Akeyla laugh would definately vie for top spot, I agree.
Thanks for sharing this post as it made me smile as I read it.
Love this post. All of it. I agree with Christoph, I can recall your favourite sounds growing up, especially the train and loon :)
I love how you have a new favourite :) :)
Such a great post, Carmen. I had that toy too and have always, always loved the sound. I think ours broke or disappeared. I'll have to check for it next time I'm at my folks. And I totally get what you mean about "the best". I miss what used to be too, and am thankful for where I am, but at the same time mindful of what is yet to come - for me and the people in my life. And I loved reading your brother speak so fondly of you and how your memories are special to him too. That was a really special sentiment to witness.
I agree with Rachel. I can only pray that our children will be as close when they grow up. As sometimes our home is loud and I long for quiet. It is hard not to smile when I hear the boys giggling and laughing together. It is definatly the best. And that apple toy is one I wish we had, our Joey loves yours too. Love Julie
Nothing is quite as enjoyable as hearing the laughter of a baby. Thanks for sharing your heart and it is always a joy to hear our little ones giggle and laugh. Keep her laughing dear Carmen. Hugs Mum
Post a Comment