I wish that there were words like this for Thank You. Because sometimes thank you just doesn't do an act justice. know what I'm talking about? I mean, sure, you could say thank you very much or say thank you, over and over, but it still sometimes feels sub-par.
Enter in my parents. I feel like saying thank you to them these days just isn't enough. So I think of something I could do for them or give them that would say thank you, but there's absolutely NO way of repaying all of their generosity and grace. Gifts that I can afford just seem too small and insulting. So I do nothing. except say thank you, over and over again.
They do so much for us. They feed us, a LOT. My dad worked so hard with Russ last year helping build our house. My mom happily babysits time and again and in fact has agreed to babysit 2 days a week when I go back to work. for free. everything is always for free. my dad drove me to Williams Lake just to pick up a patio set. He drove me to Kamloops to pick up my piano. free. They have lent us their car for several days until we find out what ICBC will say about paying for a new engine for the VW. They always help us cut up our game, with smiles on their faces. We never help them cut up theirs. And they never ask or expect it. they see us at our worst and at our best. And believe me, the worst requires a fair amount of grace and forgiveness.
This incomplete list highlights their generosity only since we have moved up to 100 Mile House. Never mind the lifetime of forgiveness, grace and generosity that has come my way. Are they perfect? no. Do they leave me a great example of how I can parent my child? Absolutely. They have imparted to me a great balance between love and discipline, gifts and work. They have always loved and forgiven. They disciplined (or lectured) at appropriate times. They have been free to give me (and my siblings) gifts beyond expectation. But somehow taught us also to work for what we have. We all work hard, but wouldn't be where we are today without the gifts from our parents as well.
I feel so indebted to my parents. I wish there was more I could do for them.
My best (only) idea so far is to pay it forward. To remember all these things as I raise my child and aim to create a balance of love and discipline, gifts and work. To show grace, generosity and hospitality not only to my child, but all those that come into my life. Even if my parents don't/won't always see this happening, I hope to honour them in these actions.
Thank You
Thank You
Thank You
7 comments:
so beautiful, Carmen. What a special relationship you have with them!
So well said Carmen, your parents are exceptional people and I am sure they know how much you appreciate them!
What a lovely tribute to two special people.I am sure they know how grateful you are. Parents take great joy in being there for their kids and love to be able to have some input into your lives. Your parents are go over and above to be there for you. Enjoy this wonderful relationship. Hugs Mum
LOVE this post - I love your parents, I love your thoughts and I love you :)
You have expressed so well what has been in my heart too, for a long time. I echo what you say, even though I don't live in 100 Mile... but even though my story is different, their love and generosity is the same. Thanks for putting it into words.
That was beautiful, and yes I cried while reading, parents are always there for their children!!! all we expect is lots of hugs !!
well said!! i could copy and paste this post into my own blog. We really are so blessed to have parents who love unconditionally :)
Post a Comment