18 November 2013

Patience

I scraped the bottom of the patience barrel today.  after I sopped up all the last little drops in the bottom corners.

....actually, I think I scraped so hard that the barrel developed a distinct hole at the bottom. and scratches up and down the sides.  the barrel is not so easily identified as such, tonight.

I think the last time I reached that point was in Indonesia - more than 5 years ago.  I dunno, maybe it wasn't that long ago, but certainly not in recent history.

As I was trying to rock screaming daughter #2 to sleep in her room while screaming daughter #1 was in the living room, I tried to find some avenue, some other means - maybe there was more patience hidden somewhere in the dirt below the barrel.  The thought crossed my mind that perhaps this is how our Loving Daddy sometimes feels toward me.  I'm sure his impatience takes a much more pure form, but how often has he sat there waiting for me to get over my latest stubborn, strong-willed pitch?

All too often, I'm sure.

Psalm 145:8
The Lord is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and rich in love.

I know this kind of day is par for the course in motherhood and I'm sure most moms can easily identify with the empty feeling that comes after having a day like this.  But there's this GREAT sense of peace and comfort knowing that my Daddy is patient, full of grace, oozing compassion and generously loving.

Thankfully, tomorrow's a new start - for all of us.

4 comments:

lyse said...

Oh it does get better, I mean having patience, wait till they get older and more stubborn, then your patience will really be needed lol. Children are a great joy and teach us many lessons, the rewards are always greater. They are such a blessing! Enjoy then! Love you guys ,wishing you all the best!

MamaZ said...

Children have a way of bringing out the best and the worst in us. It has to be one of the most humbling experiences in life. Just remember that some days you need to tell yourself that if all you did all day was feed your children and keep them safe, you did a good enough job for that day. And yes, it is always reassuring to know that tomorrow is a new day.

kelly r. said...

I had many days like that. ......but they start to become less and less. You are ahead of the game with your faith in the Lord.....knowing that he's always there for you to lean on.
I wish I was there to help you out. Its hard on your own. ......
Sending hugs and prayers. .....
Xoxo

Anonymous said...

Kids can definitely be trying and stubborn and frustrating. I hear your pain but tomorrow will dawn again and things will be better. Our lord is patient with us and we learn patience as we go. Keep your chin up and know that you are loved. Hugs Mum