21 February 2016

Today's a beautiful day

for Oma.  

She got to meet our Maker.  Walk up to the pearly gates and look the Saviour in the eyes for the first time.  She got to hear his voice and feel, what I imagine to be, the most tender, loving hug.  

Maybe she's had a reunion with Opa by now too.  And many other loved ones. 

What a glorious day.  

An amazing promise fulfilled.

Back here, I imagine the smell of chicken noodle soup simmering on the stove as I walk into her house after church on a Sunday.  We smile and greet whichever cousins happen to be there also after their Sunday morning at church.  After a little while, we sit down around the table and eat the best chicken noodle soup ever.  Whose was better than Oma's?  Nobody's.  We enjoy that token glass of C-Plus Orange pop.  After we fill our bellies with soup, she brings out the vanilla ice cream which we smother with fruit Mousse and as Opa always did, add some chocolate syrup on that, too.  An odd concoction that perhaps only those who gathered at Oma's table can ever understand. I can taste it even now.

I think about the time in my early 20's when I went to see Oma during the day for some reason.  I was in college.  We were saying good-bye at the door and she looked at my button-up shirt that had only about 2 of the 6 buttons closed with another shirt underneath.  She looked at my shirt and grabbed it as if to close the rest of it and said, "Your shirt isn't closed!" And then she caught herself and said, "Oh...that's the way the kids wear it these days! That's COOL."  She gave me her best smile, thanked me for coming and gave me one of her warm, cuddly hugs.  It was then that I understood that she had a way about her that could transcended generations.  I had a new appreciation for her.  

I look around my house and realize that I have so many gifts from her.  Most of them with embroidery on them.  His and Her pillowcases, a gorgeous placemat and serviette set of 4 that I have never used because they are too pretty (and white), but I love them so much I can't part with them.  I have that blanket that she knitted for me when I turned 16, a picture that she cross-stitched for me when I got married and that soft, perfect little knitted blanket that I got to pick out when she found out I was expecting my first child.  I admit that embroidery is not my favourite art form, but these gifts mean so much love to me.  They represent her love for me and every one of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

I'm so glad that I took the time to go to Abbotsford this past summer with Russ and the girls specifically to spend some time with her.  She invited us to stay for lunch at the Tabor Home.  She told the receptionist downstairs that we were staying about an hour before lunch.  I'm not sure we made the deadline required for invited guests but the receptionist could not decline sweet Oma.  So the five of us got our own table and we ate together.  That feeling of knowing you have absolutely, 100% done the right thing by spending time.  I should have done it more.

Alas, our endearing matriarch has seen her last day and breathed her last breath.  

A generation has ended.  

I love you, Oma.  I'm so glad you no longer have to imagine Heaven.  

See you on the other side.

4 comments:

The W's said...

what a beautiful tribute to your Oma. I could taste the chicken noodle soup. so glad you got that special time with her this past summer.

Sherri Piechnik said...

What wonderful memories to have and to pass on to your children. I loved reading your tribute!

Sandi said...

I enjoyed reading your word and it brought back memories of my own Oma who also is in heaven with Opa. For me it is the memory of her eintopf and her telling us to eat, "don't you like what I made?" even though I'd already had seconds. It is such a gift to have sweet and beautiful memories of the generations before.

Vanessa said...

My condolences to you Carmen on the passing of your Oma. She was a dear friend to my husband's Oma. She will miss her dearly too. I sometimes think that the ones that make it to 90 or more must have God smiling on them with extra grace to make it that long. Before my Opa died I whispered the same words into his ears, "see you on the other side". He had a stroke and could no longer respond but I know he heard me. Grandparents like the ones we had are like sunshine in the rainy seasons of life. They bring love and smiles and goodies. Even in the form of memories for many years after they've gone. God bless you in this time with His presence and peace. I have lost your email. Please send it to me again, jandvklassen@shaw.ca.
xoxo