15 February 2007

The Way We Do Our Business

At the request of Brenda Weibelzahl, I have finally managed to get some pics together of our washrooms. Not all the washrooms out here are exactly like this, but most of them will be a pretty close variation.

This here, is a picture of the washrooms at our base in Jabi. The two at each end are just for showers, and the two in the middle are for showering and toileting.


This is what the shower looks like from the inside. And on the right is me demonstrating how we take a shower. Of course, we don't do it with our clothes on. :) It's actually not that bad. You fill up the ladel with water from the Mandie (the square tub of water) and dump it on yourself. The water is never warm, but actually, that's what's nice about it. Showering is always very refreshing with the cool water. There are hooks in the two end showers to hang up your towel & clothes. So it works really well.

Here is the squatty potty, aka, the toilet. This mandie is connected to the one you saw in the shower. Once you do your business, you just scoop water from the mandie into the toilet to flush down the stuff. You keep throwing water down until the water in the toilet is clear. Pretty simple, eh?


Here is a close-up shot. :)



And this is me demonstrating. I'm sure you could have imagined how to use it without my demonstration, but I thought it'd be funnier if you didn't have to imagine. Well, you still have to use some imagination because once again, you have to be unclothed to do this... partly, anyway.


You will notice that there is toilet paper on the side - a luxury that we expats cannot do without. But there's no toilet paper allowed down the toilet, so there's a garbage can in the corner that we toss it all into for the burn-bin. What fun! By the way... the locals use their hands.


So there you have it, Brenda! The way we do our business!


Here's a picture of us I thought I'd throw in just for kicks. By the way, you may notice that we look somewhat tanned. Unfortunately, the tan abruptly ends at our elbows, ankles & necks. Pretty scary stuff!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Brenda for asking the questions that we all have. Now we know how business is conducted. Thanks for the graphic photos and demos. You do look tanned and healthy Wonderful to see. Love you lots. Hugs Mum

Anonymous said...

Thanks Carmen!! After reading all your explanations and seeing your pictures I appreciate our toilet and shower SO MUCH MORE!!!! I admire your optimistic outlook in how you do your business :) (Not that you have much choice!) You guys look great!! Love you and miss you!!

Anonymous said...

Cool pictures... wish we could come for a weekend visit.

rachel joy said...

You do look so great! Tanned and slimmed, too. I appreciate your "action shot" as I was wondering if you faced the door or the wall when you did your business. Thanks for clearing that all up for us! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Carmen, what an adventure this must be for you. I can imagine your laugh as you saw all this for the first time. It's nice to see that even with the humble living conditions you are focused on what really matters. What an amazing landscape and the beach right beside you, wow. Glad to see you and Russ are doing well. Keep enjoying the ocean dips and think of me sometime when you go swimming, love to come with you hahaha.
Love you and miss you!
Hugs and kisses, Gudrun

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from you again. I
cant imagine having such luxury
(or not) but I'm glad you're
adjusting.I pray for you and
wish you Gods blessings.
aunt...liesa