Nothing was wasted. After the dog was killed, all the hair was burned off, but the rest of it was put into a couple of pots of water to boil: skin, head, brains, guts, you name it. Not sure if the paws made it in or not. Even the blood was saved to go into the spicy, cocunut sauce later on. And the broth that comes from cooking the dog gets savoured as well. Yuuummmmm.
(This is me having just taken a mouthful of rice, sauce & meat.)
In reality, dog meat just tastes like any other red meat that I've eaten, but the thought of what I was eating was almost enough to make me gag. "It just tastes like beef, it just tastes like beef, it just tastes like beef", was what I forced myself to think as I was eating the chewy little thing.
It was quite appetizing to look at too, if I say so myself....
(This is a picture of the snout and top jaw of the dog. One of our drivers ate the eyes.)
Russ wasn't brave enough to try it, but I thought, when in Rome.....
Hey, Ken Ferguson: Time for another butter tart, don't ya think??? :)
15 comments:
Oh. my. word. Thank you for not showing us the dog when it was running around your yard.
I agree with Rach!!!!! I think I would have cried if I would have seen the dog first.....
All I can say is that you are MUCH braver than I!
Carmen You are one brave lady. Not sure I would be participating in this feast. Think vegetarian!! Good for you to try this delicacy. I admire your courage. You are a gem. Love Mum
Disgusting! :(
gross.
Carmen, way to go!! I had dog too when I was in Korea. Like you said, when in Rome... I'm glad you went for it!!
Dog is traditionally a summer delicacy in Korea. They told us before we went that the dogs were specifically bred for eating and they were very unintelligent dogs. I think they said us to make us feel better about trying it. Then I later found out that they do use just any dog...even if they found a dog wandering in the street. Apparently, if women eat it, it means they are quite robust...or so I was told.
Anyway, glad you had the experience and could join the "I ate dog" club!
Katherine Douglas
gross, gross, gross...I would rather eat a coyote than the dogs here. My wife is much braver than me, I kept thinking of "Guinness", and saying to myself "Not If it was the last meal on earth"! - Russ
Carmen,
We will make sure to lock up Guinness when you return home next Christmas in case he ends up in your stewpot! I agreee with Russ, YUCK, you are much brave than I....however if the dog is that annoying...on second thought not even then.
Love You, Crazy girl
Julie
Carmen, way to keep an open mind. But I am with Julie about keeping Guinness away from you for the first while, ha-ha. But I am also with Russ, that is pretty nasty. I think just for fun sake, you should have put on a before and after pic.
To all those who read this I want you to remember:
THERE IS ROOM FOR ALL OF GOD'S CREATURES NEXT TO MASHED POTATOES.
Cheers. Clark and Guinness
Carmen,you are so brave, I don't know how you could do that.
Love ya...aunt Liesa
that is so gross...i would have had to stand with russ on this one, but i would be glad to have you there to do such things as..well..eat dog.
Hi Carmen! was just checking out your blog, and GROSS GROSS GROSS is what I have to say too! That last picture is disgusting (but it made me laugh too!) Way to try it. I have always made myself try things wherever I am as well, but I think dog would be difficult for me!
Fun to see a little glimpse of your life in Indonesia. Glad you had a good time in Canada over Christmas.
Love Kirsten
(you are welcome to check out my blog. It is private, so just email me at kirstendeanne (at) canada (dot) come if you are interested.
Hi Carmen ~
I was TOCing in a gr. 4 class last week and the opportunity actually came up to tell them about my friend (you) and how you'd eaten 'dog'. So there you have it...you're being talked about in a school here in Abbotsford :)
Anita
My thoughts echoed Rachel Z's exactly. OH. MY. WORD.
Too funny.
Wow...that last picture really added that "gag" factor bigtime...I haven't been feeling too well this last few days, and I was just starting to get it together...but that...wow. I must say that is sick dude...I just threw up in my mouth a little.
Post a Comment