19 January 2009

As we've been discovering the existence of worms in our bodies over the last few weeks (in some very not-so-pleasant ways) and the high likelihood of obtaining them in Indonesia, we've been reminded of the lasting effects that our time in Indonesia left on our lives. Corruption, forgiveness, trust, poverty, poor education, gratitude, comfort and calling are some of the themes we've been wrestling through more than expected. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of someone or something in Indonesia. I've been told that this is normal and right. I can no longer watch a Sponsor Child program or Human Rights segment without it touching the deepest roots of meaning and longing in my heart. And the tears...oh! the tears! Russ & I use to never sob in front of the television before! Thinking of going overseas again brings a lot of fear to me right now, but I also can't wait to see where God will send us next. And I know he will. One might even say that He's easing us into our next International adventure by sending us to 100 Mile House first! to be honest, that's what we would say.

And so, as I was thinking of what I should post, I was going through all the recent happenings in our lives, like New Year's Eve with friends, Russ' birthday surprises, the excessive busy-ness at my work and the slight slow-down with Russ', the Spring plans of our move (though there really aren't that many plans so far), it just all seemed so...I dunno...trite. Don't get me wrong - I think all these things are very important and have been at the forefront of our minds lately, but they don't exactly define who we are. There was an excellent challenge that P. Rob left us with at church on Sunday: Travel light here on earth. In other words, where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

3 comments:

Julene said...

I don't know much about the process of debriefing from living overseas, but I expect that I will go through the same thoughts & feelings as you one day. Living here overseas does make one more aware of what really matters ... and like you said, some things do seem "trite" when your next door neighbour lives in a shack. Much to process ... but that's what life is: a process. And as my kids ask questions about heaven, it reminds me again of where our treasure is. Thank you for your post, Carmen. May you feel His hand in yours as you journey. Love from Jules in Indonesia

The W's said...

You gave me a lot to think about Carmen. Love you!

katherine said...

Hey Carmen,

It's been cool following your journey...your thoughts, feelings, and dealing with such contrast between life here and in Indonesia. You are moving to 100 Mile? I'm looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

Kath