30 September 2009

Bike Boy

Bike Boy is a nickname Russ & I have for this guy we always see. He's a young native boy, around 15 years old or so, who is always riding his bike, with his helmet on, around our area.

Often, we see him riding around in circles in the 4-way stop close to our house. I've observed him a bit: he's always looking out for car traffic.
Good on him.

Thankfully, there isn't a lot of traffic at that 4-way stop.

A couple of weeks ago, he was riding by as I was walking home.
He said "hi."
I said "hi."
He asked me how I was doing. I said I was doing good.
I asked him how he was, and he said the same.
He asked me how my day was and I said it was pretty good.
His day was good too.
I asked him what he did that day.
He said he was at Cedar Crest in the morning.

ah ha. Cedar Crest is a society that works with people with mental and physical disabilities.

I asked him what he did in the morning.
He said he played hockey and then had lunch.
what a great way to spend a morning.

He told me he likes my earrings. I said thanks.
Then he said "bye" and I said "bye" and he rode off - likely to ride more 4-way stop circles.

Today Bike Boy was riding by in the opposite direction that I was walking, but he turned around and rode next to me. Our conversation started much the same way as last time.

But this time I was sure to ask his name.
His name is Aaron.
I told him my name was Carmen. He repeated it once.
I said, "it's nice to meet you, Aaron".
He said, "it's nice to meet you, Carmen".

What a nice boy.

I found out that Bike Boy, aka Aaron, lives down the street next to the church. He doesn't go riding in the park.

Before he took off today, he said, "good-bye, Carmen." I said bye back.

I hope I run into Bike Boy more often. There's something really precious about him and our simple conversations.

Maybe it's because I listen to other people's complex, sometimes downright shocking issues all day long, but I find something really special about Bike Boy's simple life and seeing him ride around the 4-way stop with a smile on his face.

Jesus, bless him.

4 comments:

rachel joy said...

A mutual blessing for you both, it seems. :)

katherine said...

cool. it's always so nice to get to know people in your community.

Corinna said...

just wanted to say that i love your story of bike boy, so glad he is in your life now.

Julene said...

Beautiful post, Carmen.